2012/03/18

Bring On the A Game!

One of the things I'm really looking forward to with the release of the movie is the tie-in game.
The likelihood of one seems bleak at the moment considering:

a) THQ Studios, who was already working on a tie-in game, shut down their operations. Check out the leaked video of what their game would've been:


b) Marvel and Sega, who published the widely panned tie-in games to the entire Marvel Cinemetic Universerecently parted ways - but not without giving this rabid fan boy something to latch my hope on to, thanks to Marvel Games Production VP TQ Jefferson:
"Marvel: Avengers Alliance on Facebook is just the tip of the iceberg. This is the first in a much larger effort to support the Avengers franchise across not just one but multiple video game touch points. Look for more announcements in the weeks to come."
Then came yesterday's announcement that the Avengers are coming to Marvel Pinball!



Not exactly what I had in mind, but the characters are there and there's a standalone release for the PlayStation Vita as opposed to just downloadable add-on for the X-box and Playstation versions of the game. 

That's probably the only thing I dread about any game that will come out: The platform.
I'm no hardcore gamer. My only gaming gadget is my GameBoy Micro. Tough luck they're gonna release a game for that.
Hopefully whatever games they plan to have will also be for a portable console like the Vita (but my personal preference is the DS) or for Windows (if only because the hardware is here already).

Yes, I want a  console game - not an online/social game like Avengers Alliance, which by the way, has less to do with the Avengers and more to do with the Marvel Universe in general.



Another possibility that I don't mind is a game for Android or iOS! I've been holding off getting an Android tablet or even a marked down iPad 2 because I want to get the right device if they do release a game or an app.

So what type of game would I want to play?

If I had it my way, I'd like the game to be a side scrolling platform game like the classic Captain America and the Avengers (so far the only Avengers console game). I'd rather not have a first person shooter like THQ's game above.


ComicBookResources hit on the right idea to port to iOS and other consoles because I once tried to play the game on my laptop with an emulator and a USB game pad but it just wasn't working (the game pad wasn't as responsive and using the keyboard was hell). I'm also trying to figure out how to set up an emulator for my Micro and play the game.
I also wouldn't mind adding a complete package of the original cartridge to my collection, but I'm not sure I want to part with a significant amount of money (cheapest I found was US$74) for a game that I will never get to play because the console is obsolete.

I also don't mind a fighting game. After all, the Avengers have had one arcade fighting game already. Plus I did enjoy Street Fighter back in the day, so a fighting game doesn't sound so bad.


But what I would really love is an RPG in the tradition of Final Fantasy and Golden Sun! We can have a cast of four to six Avengers (the movie roster) in a single company and go around from Atlantis to Wakanda to Latveria and even Asgard! It would be nice to tie in to the plot of the movie, but I think there's an opportunity here to explore the rest of the Marvel geography. I also hope that they won't be restricted to the movie timeline.


Outside of the video games, I'd really like there to be an Avengers board game. Sadly, it looks like the one from Jakks Pacific won't happen anytime soon.


Thankfully, there's still Heroclix and Hero Attax.


UPDATE: In an interview, artist Ryan Meneirding, who's worked on all the Marvel Studios films, said that there is no official video game tie-in to the movie. At least not one that he's a part of. Check out the interview below. Discussion about the Avengers game starts at 2:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment